Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Follow-Ups

A week ago I drove through the pothole and cracked my tire. Yes, I ripped it. My uncle aka Mr.Car Guy said "Honey that's not possible, you couldn't have cracked your tire, you might have cracked your wheel."

Tires and wheels aren't the same thing? News to me....

He starts asking if I had hubcaps or something else. Again, if something is covering my wheel that means hubcap in my mind. Is it steel or metal? I don't know. Is it front wheel drive or something else? Shit. I don't know! All I know is I have a 2009 black Jetta that unfortunately has scratches along the side and a cracked tire.

To make things easier, my uncle came down to meet me and wait for AAA. I left work at 2 in the afternoon and everyone said "How nice! An afternoon off!" Yeah, we'll 5:15 rolls around and AAA shows up. Thankfully I had my uncle to keep me company and laugh at me for not knowing ANYTHING about my car. I don't even know my license plate for God's sake, I just know the car is mine because of the tattoos I've added from poles and cars.

We decide to get the spare out to speed up the process... And what do ya know! It's a full spare! Wait a minute... What's a full spare? Apparently it's the same exact tire I have on my car. Convenient! But I have yet to buy a spare to replace the thrashed tire in my trunk!

I will be buying one tomorrow. Promise!

Last night I thought of the best birthday present to myself. I'll drive myself to work instead of ride the bus! But at 11:45 last night I remembered I don't have a flipping spare tire... Just in case something happens and this wonderful "full spare," flakes.

My boss has been out of the country for 3 weeks and said to me today, "Did I hear it's your birthday? Do anything special for it?" I told him I went to Canada and he said oh just because? So I told him I ran a half marathon and he, who barely even talks to me or smiles bursts into laughter and said "you're crazy, most people relax on their birthday."

Let me tell you, the weekend in Canada was in no way relaxing.

Lululemon makes fashionable and insanely overpriced yoga clothing, which they should just stick to from now on. They talked a big talk for their first race.

Yes, it was their first race so they didn't exactly know what they were doing. But when you give out shorts instead of race shirts, make sure they don't fit like underwear, aren't white, and you don't run out. Another tip, when you brag about not giving us stale bagels at the end of the race like all of those other races, and excite us with waffles and fruit from 9-1. Don't run out of food by 10:45. You should probably have water stations more than every 3 miles and not run out of cups to drink the water from. Oh yes, the real kicker... Get your course certified. My two friends and I all used different running apps and they all said it was over 13.1 miles.

Let me tell you that being out of shape and running the race anyway sucks. Having your phone cut in your Playlist saying "12 miles," really gets you going. I've been told I'm like a horse when I run, once I see the barn I'm gone. Well, no barn in site when my phone said 13 miles (after hauling ass the last mile). I find one of my friends and we are exchanging swear words about the finish line, since her app said she was past 13.1 miles and NO finish line in sight.

I got so pissed I had to walk part of the last mile and told Caylin to go ahead of me. Then she got pissed and walked, both of us yelling "where the f$!? Is the finish line!!!!" While most races give out bibs to wear, they gave us bracelets to advertise the lululemon gear (that I wasn't wearing). The finish line cameras capture you finishing and you can buy your photos based off your bib #.

The pictures they posted to their website are of girls decked out in frilly lulu gear, smiling ear to ear and jumping for joy. Why wasn't my picture up there? Well I don't think they took any because I looked like I just ran the warrior dash... That went through hell and back.

But ya know what... I finished the race. My distance read 13.99 miles and my time read 2:25 and while that is 13 minutes slower than my last race, I did run an extra .98 miles. I finished My 3rd half marathon, my friend Caylin finished her 2nd half marathon, and my friend Stephanie finished we first half marathon... On her actual birthday!!!! I was one proud, aching, and pissed off friend that day and I wouldn't change a thing!

As for my birthday, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has text, called, facebooked or wished me well in person! I am a lucky girl with the best friends and family I could ever imagine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment