Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What we've all been waiting for...

So I spoke with my sleep doctor this afternoon for about 20 minutes. I was expecting to NOT find anything out and everyone kept saying don't be so negative. But really... I was being positive, because if I didn't find out anything, then I wouldn't be disappointed. Is it weird that I was so anxious because I wanted to be diagnosed with something? I just wanted to be reassured that I wasn't actually going crazy and I am actually tired all the time. Not that people don't believe me, but because its been going on so long, it's become normal. And not sleeping isn't normal.

The doctor explained they didn't find anything at the night time study, and that I actually slept really well that night, which I documented the next day on my papers. I was embarrassed because honestly... Who sleeps well while getting tests done because they don't sleep well? This girl!

So, the daytime study was a nap every 2 hours for 20 minutes. He said I was clearly very tired because I fell asleep for every nap and actually was able to leave early because I fell asleep every nap. And I fell asleep on average in the FIRST 4 minutes of the nap. I also dreamt during every nap, which many people don't ever get to that state, while I got to it within 20 minutes, for every nap.

He said that according to my results I have narcolepsy. He described the treatment plan for me and said they don't treat narcolepsy, they treat the tiredness you get from narcolepsy. So instead of being prescribed a sleeping aid or something I would be addicted to (like a lot of sleeping aids), he said I can take the prescription whenever I want (mainly in the morning)(I will check on this with the pharmacist).

The medicine is to stimulate the natural chemicals in my brain that make me feel awake. So this prescription does the opposite of what you'd think a person with a sleep disorder would want. This WAKES me up, instead of making me sleep. The theory is if I'm more awake during the day, I will be more tired at night. Because since I dream all night and wake up all night, I don't get good sleep. So this should make me SO awake that I'll be SO tired at night.

I am not scared, overwhelmed, or nervous or anything about the diagnosis. If anything, I am relieved they actually figured it out and I'm not crazy! :)

I pick up my prescription tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes!

So until then... Sweet dreams!

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment