Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Overnight Study: Quick Update

I survived the overnight study! It wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. I actually feel like I slept better than normal. The tech asked how I slept and what made me feel like I slept better. Well, when I actually sleep decently, I wake up feeling sore in my chest because I wasn't up moving around. Normally I am up 3-4-5 times a night. But last night I was unable to get up and move around because I was hooked up to a bunch of things. And if I had to go to the bathroom, he had to come in and unhook me, then hook me back up. So, I held it.

My room is big and nice, looks a lot like a hospital room, but with a bigger bed. I changed into my pjs right when I got here and then got hooked up to the electrodes. The tech had me try on the sleep apnea machine for what he said would be 15 minutes. About 35 minutes later, he came back in to remove it. He had me try it on because if I met a certain criteria during the night, they would put the mask on me. Let me just tell you, I felt like a drowning elephant wearing this thing. My eyes were watering and the air it blows through your nose literally made me feel like I was swimming under water... Especially since I hardly ever breathe through my nose.

Anyway, there is a camera set up above the bed so he could watch me sleep... CREEPY! I had to go to bed around 9 PM and after he left the room he got on over the intercom and had me do a series of tests. The tests were: blinking 5 times, looking right to left-left to right, moving each foot and hand, etc.

He came in throughout the night to re-wire me I think because I was moving around and they came loose. He also, at one point switched out the tubes that went up my nose an re-taped it to my face. I realized at these moments that I would not make a very good patient, as I hated being vulnerable and having some stranger come in the middle of the night to switch out my equipment for me and give me directions on what I'm supposed to be doing or not doing.

It's now 5:30 AM, I was woken up at 5 to do the series of tests again before he unhooked some of the equipment. He removed the tubes in my nose, the electrodes off my arms and legs, which by the way were glued to my skin, which hurt like a you-know-what when he ripped them off. Thankfully I had shaved legs, but now I feel like I got my arms waxed. I am waiting for the morning crew to come on to let me know if in fact I do have to stay for the day-time test. If they find an issue with you overnight, you get to go home because they know what's wrong. And if they don't know what's wrong, they will keep you. The tech said he doesn't imagine them sending me home this morning.

Today, if I stay, will be a series of naps every 2 hours. I asked what if I can't nap? Being a terrible sleeper, I'm not a napper, which may seem odd because if I was that tired I should nap. But I have never been a napper, I just have too much to do than waste my time napping! He said they aren't looking for if I actually nap, but if I do, how quickly I go into a deep sleep/rem etc.

Here are a few pictures to make you get a better idea of how beautiful this set up is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment