Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Blazin' Friday Morning

When I started this blog, I originally had the idea I would write about all of the good, bad, and ugly experiences on the bus. But then I freaked out wondering if I would have enough material to write a blog... well, anytime I think about writing about normal life, something on the bus happens that trumps all my other ideas. So, you have to bare with me and my random posts.

Last week was a pretty calm week until Thursday. On my bus ride home I thought the man sitting 3 rows behind me was going to hack up a lung on the woman in front of him. It was that awful coughing, followed by gagging, followed by gasping for air. Everyone was looking around uncomfortably wondering is this person still alive or what?! The bus driver even asked, "Is everyone ok?" And when no one responded, he said under his breath, "Aw hell no, this shit ain't happenin on my watch." He glanced back to see the man was still in fact alive, but just barely. The reason we all knew he was alive was because that horrible coughing, gagging, gasping continued for the first 20 minutes on the bus, which led to me gagging and my eyes filling up with tears for the next 20 minutes. I can handle diaper changing, blood, puke, snot, you name it... but the sound of gagging makes me gag in the most unladylike manner.

Picking your seat on the bus reminds me a lot of picking teams in PE class in middle school. You size everyone up and try to avoid the chatty ones, the stinky ones, or the downright WEIRD ones. And the same when you're in your seat, waiting for the person who sits next to you. It's amazing how many people have said to me since I started my new job "Ooooh, maybe you'll meet someone on the bus!!" Clearly they have never ridden public transporation.... EVER!

Friday I climb up on the bus and am looking for who I want/have to sit next to. I sit next to a man, who was sleeping, and I was hoping he would sleep the whole time to avoid awkward stranger conversation at 6:30 AM. All of the sudden, the man starts to lean over to me and in my mind I'm thinking is he going to ask me for a piece of gum, which he later did after accusing me of bringing weed on the bus...

He spits out: "Did you bring weed on the bus?"
Me: "Uh no, do I smell like I did?"
Man: "Yes."
Me: "Well, I didn't. I can't even smell anything."
Man: (in an accusing tone) "Well, I can smell it and it smells strong...it's just weird, I mean it's a little early for weed don't you think?
Me: "Yeah, well obviously it's not too early for some people."

Maybe it was the way I was clutching my purse that made him think I was hiding some goods? Or maybe it was my cardigan, cordoroy pants, and dansko clogs that screamed to him STONER!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment