Thursday, February 16, 2012

A road less traveled...

When you go through all the years of schooling and lessons from parents, you hear a LOT... There were THREE words stamped in my memory "GO TO COLLEGE." Neither of my parents went to college and I was fortunate enough to have two loving parents who wanted to support me and my siblings through college. They wanted us to get the experience they missed out on. For both of them (at the time), not going to college was never really much of an issue, and were able to have jobs and a family with no college experience. Both of them are very successful in their current careers and have taught me how to have a great work ethic and it's not what can you do for me, it's what can I do for you. So, I did what I was told and went to college and graduated with a Bachelor's Degree, which I thought was the last hurdle. Boy, was I wrong or what!!! Getting the degree was only the first hurdle. You think once you get a degree, you get a job... which may have been the case before the job market went to shits.

I have heard many people complain about my generation because we are always expecting things and thinking we deserve everything (like jobs when you graduate college...GUILTY...) Generation Y aka the "Peter Pan Generation," are very different than that of their parents, the "Baby Boomers." While they are seen as rebellious and wanting absolute freedom. We Gen-Y-ers are seen as never wanting to grow up and living with our parents longer than other generations... excuse me but I don't know ANYONE in their 20's or 30's that WANT to move back in with their parents (no offense mom and dad). Not growing up, living at home, working jobs and not having a career isn't necessarily a CHOICE we're making, it's just what is happening. I think this generation should have a name change to "Generation Y the Hell Can't I Get a Job!"

It's been an interesting 4 years post-college, I have been going back and forth trying to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be, etc, etc. I have been so concerned with finding an immediate fix in my life that I have gone completely off track and lost the idea of what I want to do. I'm currently working the front desk at a personal training studio and have also been the nanny for 4 wildly amazing kids. The kiddos and their parents are moving in April, which makes me sad because I have created a strong relationship with them and their amazingly calm-cool-collected mom. I recently got a job in Seattle, working for dentists. and I finally feel like I'm back on track and I am SO RELIEVED!!!

Working 50 Hours a week, 6 days a week, and commuting around 2-3 hours DAILY makes for a wild adventure... especially riding public transportation. But that is for another day....

Until then.... XoXo

1 comment:

  1. As a Boomer, and a child of members of the "Greatest Generation", I felt the pull of rebellion but I most strongly felt the responsibility of getting my education (GO TO COLLEGE - just as you heard) and doing something to better the world to pay our parents back for their struggles and sacrifices endured during the Great Depression and World War II. Boomers are also criticized as being selfish but I think many just wanted to make sure the world went a different direction and avoid similar tragedies. Congratulations on the new job! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete