Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do you worry or do you manage?

In 2010 I went on a family trip to Europe, where we ate great food, drank great wine, talked about family history, similarities and differences between all of us. I went to Europe with two of my uncles, one cousin, two of my dad's cousins, and my great aunt. Our ages ranged from me being the youngest to my grandpa's sister Betty, who is turning 80 this year. Needless to say we all have our differences, but one thing we all agreed on is that there are two types of people in the world... those who worry and those who manage. AKA Type A and Type B.

Medveds are made of mostly managers.... very competitive managers. I have qualities of both Type A (ambitious, competitive, and proactive) and Type B (easy going, patient, and sensitive of other people's feelings), so I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. Notice I put both competitive AND easy going... I am easy going pretty much anytime except while playing sports and games. It's in my blood. My mom is competitive, my dad is competitive, so of course me and my brother and sister are, too. There are times I wish I wasn't so competitive... No one likes losing... except losers... haha just kidding :) But really, it's not fun to lose.

My competitive Type A trait makes me a manager, while my sensitivity to other people's feelings makes me a worrier. I worry... a lot. About everything and anything. I worry that I'm not going to sleep well, so I don't sleep well. I worry I'm going to hurt someone's feelings, so I often don't say what I want. I worry that I'm going to miss out on things, so I burn myself out day after day with work and activities.

An obvious way to relieve stress is to exercise. There is nothing better than a good long run to shed the crap you carry around all day long. But one of my new and FAVORITE de-stressers is zoning out on Pinterest. It is like a big black hole of STUFF. Things like home decor, remodeling, photography, fashion, quotes, recipies, etc. It has just about anything and everything you could possibly ever think of and more. And when I read this quote on pinterest I laughed so hard that it felt like I had just gone on one of those stress relieving runs....


"For all those men who say 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free..' Here's an update for you: now days 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage."

What are your best ways to relieve some stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment