Thursday, December 13, 2012

You're a mean one... Mr. Grinch!

Four weeks of long weekends and short work weeks makes for a long normal work week. It's only Thursday and it feels like it should be Monday of next week.

It started out with holiday weekends with Veteran's Day and then Thanksgiving. Then it was a sinus infection/upper respiratory infection that got me sent home from work for a few days. THEN a vacation I was looking forward to for a few months.

Getting sent home from work is one thing. Getting sent home when you commute by bus AND got sent home 10 minutes after you got there... And already being 15 minutes late due to traffic.... Well, it sucks.

Trying to prepare your work for the vacation days you'll be taking is kind of hard when you're at home sick. Trying to catch up from the 3 sick days you had, while preparing for the 3 days you'll be on vacation sucks, too.

Flying with a sinus infection? You guessed it! Sucks, too!

Going to 80 degree dry heat? BINGO! I swear the second the sun hit my face I was healed. And as you may have guessed, the second I returned to Seattle, my cough came back. Literally as I walked off the plane and took a deep breath of fresh air, I was back to sounding like a 90 year old who had smoked a pack a day for their whole life.

Our flight was delayed Sunday night and I didn't get into bed until just before midnight. Woke up just before 6AM on Monday and headed to work. Stopped by ZooLights to see my sister and nieces, went to the store, and went to bed.

Wake up on Tuesday.... Fall back asleep.... Wake up at the time I'm normally driving to the bus station. Whoops. There was no way to be on time, unless, of course.... I drove. I got to work on time and paid the $12 for parking (I pay $14 a MONTH for the bus), and managed to only honk at one idiot driver. I didn't know I had a meeting that night because I had missed the last meeting from being sick. Get home after 9PM and hop in bed.

Wednesday I am 30 minutes late to work thanks to traffic. I had plans to grab a beer with some friends after work, which was great fun as I expected. I also expected the bus ride to go smoothly since I was leaving after traffic. I didn't want to miss the bus, so I didn't use the restroom before I left. I also hadn't had any dinner. My bus is clearly running late, but I can't run in to go pee because I just know it will come while I'm inside. I'm also standing outside a pizza parlor, which smelled like HEAVEN, even from outside. Another 10 minutes go by.... I'm getting more hungry, more pissy, colder, and my bladder is ready to explode. But I sure as hell wasn't going to miss the bus after waiting all that time. THIRTY MINUTES after the bus was supposed to arrive, it shows up.

Had I known the situation, I could've gone pee, had another beer, a slice of pizza, gone pee again, and still made the bus.

I know I sound like The Grinch, or worse... Scrooge. I'm trying my hardest to stay on the nice list, but if one more naughty-tempting event occurs... I may as well start a coal mine.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have an iphone? You should download One Bus Away app and it'll tell you how far away the next bus is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! But my bus route has added and changed a few stops and it's unfortunately not updated!! Major bummer.

      Delete